The Trustees of the Bridgton Public Library hope that people find the library comfortable and welcoming. We have established expectations for staff and the public so everyone enjoys a clean, pleasant, and safe environment.
- We will provide the highest level of service to the public with professionalism, courtesy, and friendliness. We will do our best to be even and constant in our level of service.
- The circulation desks will be attended by the staff member or volunteer assigned to circulation desk coverage. There willl be times that, due to heavy demand, lines will form at the circulation desk. Staff members will continually monitor the desk and assist people as they can.
- Staff members will not pass any information or make any personal judgement on or about any library user.
- Staff members will treat their fellow staff members with the same professionalism, courtesy, and friendly manner as we do our library users. We work together as a team.
- Staff members will refer to their supervisor if there is a situation that needs to be corrected.
- When staff and volunteers are working in the library, professional obligations take precedence over personal beliefs in supporting the mission of the library and the impartial provison of access to the library’s information resources.
- The library work environment will be kept in a clean and neat condition so that the appearance of the library is pleasant and enjoyable for both the library user and staff members.
- Please be aware of others around you. Please be clean and courteous. Use of loud, abusive, threatening, or insulting language is not acceptable.
- Disruptive or unsafe behavior, including any conduct that interferes with the use of the library by others or with the functions of the library staff, is not acceptable.
- Use of obscene or pornographic internet sites, or sexual harrassment or misconduct, is not acceptable.
- Please, no smoking, consumption of alcoholic beverages, or weapons of any kind on library property.
- Please respect library property. We have work hard to maintain our building, facilities, grounds, collections, and technology resources.
- All children 12 and under must be accompanied by an adult.
The Bridgton Public Library reserves the right to prohibit persons who do not abide by these expectations from using its facilities and premises. Library personnel may ask persons who are exhibiting inappropriate behavior to modify their behavior. Staff has been instructed to call the police for assistance in dealing with people who are abusive or who refuse to modify their behavior when asked to do so. Noncompliance of this policy may result in the individual being banned from the library premises and in serious cases, arrest and prosecution.