How to Discuss COVID-19 with Kids
The Healing Library provides free printed packets with a discussion guide and links to free downloadable books to help you navigate this difficult subject with your kids.
You can also request a printed copy of the COVID-19 packet from the library, either via mail delivery or through no contact pick up.
- TumbleBookLibrary – K-6 children’s ebook database
- TumbleMath – K-6 math ebook database
- TeenBookCloud – grades 7-12 ebook database
- AudioBookCloud – all ages audiobook database
- RomanceBookCloud – a huge collection of steamy romance novels for the older crowd!
- Wonderopolis – where natural curiosity and imagination lead to exploration.
- Center for Puppetry Arts – streaming live performances FREE on Facebook.
- Scholastic Learn at Home – free access to books games and activities.
- #StoryMarch – for artists of all ages to stretch a little and have fun.
- #ScienceStory – what’s your science story?
- ABCmouse provides engaging online activities for pre-k, kindergarten, and early elementary school children.
Check out the websites and resources for kids in BPL’s Children’s Room!
Children’s book authors are coming together and getting creative! On the youtube channel Authors Everywhere, you can watch various authors doing book readings, drawings, and other activities.
Storyline Online is for you! You can find dozens of children’s books read by some very recognizable voices like Wanda Sykes, Rose Byrne, and Sean Astin!
Is your child a fan of author and illustrator Mo Willems? If so, this is an exciting resource to explore. Mo invites you into his art studio for doodles and finger puppets on the Kennedy Center’s website! By clicking here, you can explore this wonderful offering with your child.
Illustrator/author Jarrett Lerner offers a wonderful new way to engage the imagination and creativity of children: incomplete comics! On his site, he offers incomplete comic strips for you to download and finish! You can also create comics that are entirely your own!
Dav Pikey is offering new and original drawing lessons every Friday at 8 am EST starting April 3! Check out the lessons on the Kids Scholastic website here. Dav also does some readings from his series Dog Man and Cat Kid.
For any fan of Tony DiTerlizzi’s fantastical worlds, which includes his popular The Spiderwick Chronicles series, this is just the thing! On Tony’s Facebook page, you can draw with this multi-disciplined artist and author!
Jarrett J. Krosoczka’s youtube channel offers drawing lessons and more! Each video is around 20 minutes and is a great way to break up the day trying to learn something new!
Many blogs and websites have worked on compiling long lists of resources. We have highlighted some of these resources, but these links will bring you to more extensive lists.